Saturday, February 22, 2014

funny facebook post from DADA

My son is a genius. 

We come home from a parent-teacher conference (he's doing okay, his penmanship stinks but look at his parents), He spends most (all) of the evening playing three video games, gets through a Curious George book with some help, dawdles in the tub while I try to get some Siri-clone app to work on my Android phone and he tries to engage it in a conversation about video games (we ask it when George Washington was born and it answers "Some time in the 20th century" followed by a request for money), demands a book before bed even though it's 8:50PM. Then reminds me we need to brush our teeth (yes, I'm a grown man. If I have to be) and then calmly asks me what A+A is. I tell him it doesn't equal anything. He says "It equals B. B is 2, C is 3, D is 4". This is freaking me out a little. He's in first grade. I don't think they covered variables in my day until like 5th grade. He continues to quiz me "So what is A + B? A+C?, etc ... " I ask where he heard this - since 4 hours ago we were trying to explain to his teacher why it's so difficult to do word problems when the story concerns baby panda losing track of how many bamboo leaves it still has to eat - and he tells me he just made it up. He discovered a fundamental principle of mathematics while policing my oral hygiene. I need to brush more.

No comments:

Post a Comment